St. Luke’s Hospital, Rugby Union Workhouse

The site in Lower Hillmorton Road latterly known as St. Luke’s Hospital was a public welfare institution for over 170 years. Beginning life as the workhouse of the Rugby Union in 1819 it shared the fate of most similar sites around the country. It was however unusual in 2 respects – it started earlier than most and retained buildings of workhouse origin longer than most.

The following pages are an abstract of our publication on St. Luke’s


St. Luke’s Hospital, 1948 – 1993 and after 

The Site & Buildings 

Rear Block

Board Office Block 

Casual Ward and Cottage 

Infirmary and Masters House