West elevation of Board Office Block D032
The wall under the pediment was part of the original building.
The Board Office Block occupied a prominent position on the Lower Hillmorton Road, on the town side of the site. In its final form it had architectural aspirations. This was very different to the cross shaped building erected in 1849. The pediments probably define the length of the original walls. How much of this structure remained is questionable as the building had been much altered.
In 1903 the final expansion of the building took place, due to the increasing number of Guardians, and the northern end extended to its final form.
The board room was on the first floor and offices on the ground floor. The board room doubled as the chapel with the altar in an enclosed area at the north end.