1820 - 1908.
Richard Wood was born in Manchester and was very successful as a sharebroker and a merchant of iron products. He moved to Rugby around 1874 and became a J.P. and a Deputy Lieutenant of the County.
He became aware of the poor medical facilities locally and in 1882 gave the town some land and £10,000 for the building of the new hospital of St Cross.
In 1890 he bought the houses owned by the Bloxam brothers (see entry for Matthew Bloxam) and gave the school building to the town for use as a library (now rebuilt).
He moved to Sidmouth in 1895 but made several further substantial gifts to the hospital including a bequest. He died in Sidmouth, Devon, on 25th April 1908.